Scherger Fencing, Creek & Road Works
Location - Weipa QLD
Client - Barpa Pty Ltd
Commencement Date - September 2019
Completion Date - November 2019
Contract Value - $1.8m
Barpa awarded Waanyi Shamrock United the civil works package involving the replacement of perimeter boundary fencing and construction of floodway infrastructure at RAAF Base Scherger located near Weipa in QLD. Barpa is a majority indigenous-owned joint venture between the federation of Victorian Traditional Owner Corporations and Icon.
The Scherger fencing and creek works was required to enable all weather access to the entirety of the perimeter fencing for Defence. Construction of custom fencing over the floodways enables the water to cross over during the wet season and for the fence panels to fold down to minimise damage. The fence can then be re-erected when the water subsides.
WSU engaged with local supply nation registered subcontractors to assist in the delivery of the project along with engaging local workers from the traditional land owner group and are happy to report a 54% indigenous participation rate for the project.
Scope of Works
- Site clearing and grubbing to perimeter access track
- Construction of 1km of perimeter road pavements
- Construction of 3 concrete floodways/causeways
- Supply and installation of prefabricated security grates over the pipe opening
- Construction of concrete pavements over floodway crossings
- Manufacture and installation of custom fencing over floodways and tie ins to the existing perimeter fencing
- Installation of rock scour protection and gabion baskets
© Copyright: - Waanyi Shamrock United Pty Ltd Website Design: - Lilly Mc